Thursday 19 May 2016

Henkyou Gakudan - Henkyou Gakudan (1991-6-15)

This is a rip of a fairly expensive cassette tape I bought last year. The music is performed by three people: Hiroshi Goi/五井宏 (who I know nothing of), Taku Sugimoto/杉本拓 (onkyo pioneer), and Michio Kurihara/栗原道夫 (initial member of Ghost, Cosmic Invention, Onna, and YBO^2; he has also collaborated with rock group Boris, and the popular psychedelic band Yura Yura Teikoku). The three aforementioned musicians respectively play alto sax, cello, and electric guitar.
Although the album is ~50 minutes of almost continuous sound, it isn't actually a noisy album. The instruments are quite delicate, their sounds blend with one-another. It's exceedingly mellow (which I found disappointing since I was expecting aggression when I purchased it).
This album is for fans of free improvisation, and, perhaps, onkyo only. I can't imagine anybody else loving it; that said, it isn't so far left-field as to be a repellent to those accustomed to less eccentric genres of music: it is rather soothing at times, and some pleasant rhythms and sounds occasionally reveal themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment